CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Daffodil Memories


I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordworth

"I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" is one of my favourite poems and always reminds me of my Grandad who passed away almost 2 years ago. He loved poetry and would often recite his favourites to us when we went to visit on a Sunday afternoon.

This particular poem was one of the readings at his funeral and evokes bittersweet memories for me. I've been thinking about him a lot today as I bought my first bunch of daffodils in Tesco (only £1 - bargain!). They're sat in a jug on my mantlepiece and I'm looking forward to them being in bloom. Daffodils make me feel as though spring is on the way and I'm looking forward to spotting the other signs of spring :)




9 comments:

MelMel said...

What a lovely way to remember him.....

Thank you for the lovely comment and welcome to blogland...I look forward to your make overs!xxx

MelMel said...

P.S I see you are a Sookie Stackhouse fan....True Blood is back on on the 4th of Feb....excited...loved the books!

Gem said...

Thank you :)

Which series is it? I have series 3 sky plussed but not had chance to watch it yet....love True Blood but the books are better :) My husband is going to order me Dead Reckoning and the Sookie Stackhouse Companion this week, can't wait!

Gem x

MarmaladeRose said...

Hello Gem and welcome to the wonderful world of blogging although I have no idea where you'll find the time, what with a new baby and a new house too! I'm very much in awe of you already!
Looking forward to seeing your crafty makes.
love fi x

ps The word verification was 'aball' and I'm sure that's just what you're going to have!

Gem said...

Thank you very much [blush]

I have been shopping today and bought some lovely duvet covers from the charity shop so am planning to turn them into something...soon :)

I'm definitely enjoying blogging so far! Very addictive :)

Gem x

topchelseagirl said...

Welcome to blogland! It's a pretty friendly place. Look forward to seeing you transform you new house into a lovely home, don't forget to take before as well as after photos - so we can gush appropriately.

Justine said...

Hi Gem
Thank you so much for the kind comments you left on my blog - it's nice to know someone out there is reading my ramblings, and I promise to do the same for you. I'm going to add you to my sidebar so I'll know whenever you post something new. Look forward to hearing more about your crafting/new home/family and everything else!
Justine

Gem said...

Thank you for taking the time to come and visit me :) Everyone does seem very friendly and I'm loving interacting with new people :)

Gem x

Gem said...

Hi Justine,

Thank you for adding me to your sidebar :) I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm going to have a go at figuring it out!

Gem x

Post a Comment