CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Sunday Night Telly - Call the Midwife

I know, I know, it's Wednesday but since Little F was born I don't always get chance to sit down and watch programmes when they are on. I'd seen the trailer for the BBC's new drama "Call the Midwife" and thought it looked excellent so I sky plussed it to watch when I had a spare hour or so.

Straight faced: Miranda Hart will make her drama debut in Call the Midwife along with, from left, Helen George, Jessica Raine and Bryony Hannah
(Photo courtesy of the BBC)

Sitting in front of the fire this evening with a hot chocolate and a sleeping baby I finally got chance to see what all the fuss was about :) "Call the Midwife" is based on the memoirs of Jennifer Worth, who was a midwife in the East End of London during the 1950s and I thought it was fantastic. I love period dramas and thought the attention to detail in this one was superb, really giving a feel for what life must have been like for families living in what we would consider to be appalling conditions. When you have a baby it can be very easy to get caught up with buying all the things that you will "need" (half of which you don't use..) but many families in those days would have had a borrowed pram and the baby would have slept in an empty drawer! I loved the shabbiness of the props in this production and felt they added to the authenticity of it.

Also, having given birth recently, I can wholeheartedly say that I am glad I gave birth in this day and age with access to lots of painkillers!!! Things were so different then.

I love reading about the 1950s and have often said to Mr P that I was born into the wrong era, but thinking about it I think I am looking back at it with rose-tinted glasses. Life in those days would have been a lot tougher than we are used to and infant mortality would have been high. Families were much bigger (my mam was one of 8 children for example!), there weren't things such as disposable nappies and few houses would have had a washing machine. On balance, I think I am glad that I am a mum now, rather than 60 years ago.

The next episode is on BBC 1 on Sunday night at 8pm and I will definitely be recording it :)

What programmes are you enjoying watching at the moment?

Gem xxx

3 comments:

Musings Of A Gem said...

I like period dramas but love comedies! I am really enjoying New Girl on Ch4 on Fridays evenings...great start to the weekend!

Gemma x

Gem said...

Ooooh I have that sky plussed too :) Just need a night when the hubby isn't home so I can settle down and watch that :)

Gem x

Sandra (Cherry Heart) said...

I watched this and enjoyed it too. That's a definite sky+ addition for me!

S x

Post a Comment